Monday 12 March 2012

Counter Culture


I'm not really sure how I feel about the Olympics. Especially when it appears that it will impact heavily on my life, being advised to expect up to one hour wait to get to work doesn't really install much British pride in me. One of the things I do like about it is the regeneration of the land around the stadium and the little gems that are starting to crop up all over. Directly across the canal in Hackney is The Counter Cafe a beautifully rustic looking place that's a little bit rough round the edges. It's all exposed brick work, reclaimed furniture (one of the seating options is a row of cinema seats) and the divider between the kitchen and the counter is simply a hole that's has been smashed in the wall.

This in no way extends to the food or the service, the staff being extremely friendly and the food absolutely delicious. This little cafe happens to be housed in the same building as a gallery which means you can pick up a bit of culture before or after your feast too. It also benefits from fantastic views of the Olympics stadium. And so it was on the cinema seats that I sat to have blueberry and banana pancakes topped with maple syrup and flaked almonds, pondering my opinions of the whole ceremony. What a great way to start the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment