Wednesday 9 November 2011

Hubble Bubble


Ok. So a little later than I wanted but better late than never, right? This weekend I went to see the penultimate show of Macbeth by Baz productions. We had two great reasons to go and see it, a very good friend is the producer and the other an actress in it. Even with these two incentives I have to admit I was a bit sceptical about seeing a Macbeth production. I mean it's been done and done again, right?

I was in fact pleasantly surprised. The space (a crypt hidden beneath a Holborn church) was inspiring, lending itself well to the play's subject matter. The acting was fantastic with each of the five actors showcasing their ability while seamlessly swapping roles within the play. In order to remind the audience who was acting which part, clever props were used that identified each character, Lady Macbeth wearing a red shawl while Macbeth had a waistcoat.

I thought it was a really clever way of breathing new life into this classic - but sometimes a little tired - play. If this is the first production from Baz I'm quite excited to see what they come up with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment